10.02.2007

Work It. Own It.

Today was volunteer day and it didn’t go so well. I’m going to blame it on the fact that it’s been over 30 years since I was in 1st grade – but it only took one look from the teacher to take me right back. Since I have such a knack for not paying attention, I apparently missed the part in the training that said the kids had to write complete sentences. So I figured that whatever they wrote was what their ability was. I left it at that, even when the ‘sentence’ was “me and my friend.” Sh**. So when the teacher saw it, I heard her ask, “Which parent helped you with this?” And my face turned beet red. Then she said, “Never mind. We don’t have time to fix it.” I was mortified. Really. Mortified. So I, of course, jumped in and fully embraced my inner “I can” mode. So I did. At least a little. Then brown-nosed by staying through recess to work with a boy who was too distracted and full of silly to finish his work on time. I made serious headway. Got a nod and a thank you from teach and went on my merry way.

It’s still nagging at me though. Stuck in my craw. They ask you to volunteer, have you sit through a quickie training and then expect you to remember every minute detail. And apply it. I guess if I was a better listener. Or if I took the time to study the provided documents. Something. But, let me tell ya, I can barely squeeze in enough time for the damned volunteer hour and a half. I think I’m doing pretty well just to show up on time. And in my second attempt, I make a mistake and am left feeling like I need to wear the dunce hat. Hmmm…Quite insightful. Forgive me if I bristle. ☺

The other part is that Miss 6 just wasn’t getting the whole “I’m here for everybody” thing we’ve gone over. So she stalked me the whole time. To the point where one of the kids I was working with said, “Aren’t you supposed to be reading?” I actually had to be mean to her (or at least very firm), which under the circumstances, hurt my heart. So, again, forgive me if I’m battle-scarred…

In other news, I must now add Journeyman to my list of TV shows that are can’t miss. That just ain’t right. My life must inevitably grind to a halt so I can keep up with all of these shows. From what I hear, it’s becoming a common problem among moms. I think The Today Show should do a segment on it. I’ll even volunteer to write the script and gather the interviewees. I mean, how can they resist a topic that talks about the amazing turnaround of show quality within their own medium? Then I’ll write a blog entry on the phenomenon for iVillage, become famous, then much-sought-after and the book deals will all come rolling in…oh, I must have dozed off for a second there…See what TV is doing to me already?

Then, last, I should own the fact that one of the truest and longest belly laughs we’ve seen from the Bean came from her watching her sister bang her head on the cabinet. I couldn’t help but think it’s because I caught Miss 6 (on video!) winging various toys at Beanie’s head the other week. I heard it, grabbed the camera and was able to catch some of it before Miss 6 says, “Mom! It’s no big deal! She likes it!” Even though Bean was just starting to cry. Quite insightful. Hmmm….

TODAY’S THEME SONG: Missundaztood. Pink Looking for the right track. Always on the wrong track.

1 comment:

Bubble Girl said...

They make you volunteer???? Oh my god. It's a very good thing I'm not a mom. Just taking Miss 6 to school was terrifying for me.