3.29.2007

Bliss, Interrupted.

I FINALLY had an afternoon to myself today. Some blissful, uninterrupted time to get a haircut and do errands with no kiddos in tow. And after almost a week of being home with them 24x7, I was desperate. (I had even been on the phone all morning trying in vain to call every babysitter I had ever heard of to get a night out this weekend. To no avail.) That’s what 24x7 parenting does to me. Makes me desperate. Desperate enough to drop the kids off at the pet boarders. (Okay, not really.)

I first had a nice breakfast/bitch session with my friend and fellow blogger, Bubble Girl. She is in a cast that was nicely accessorized with a Whole Foods bag today due to the snowy conditions we woke up to. (Only the trendiest grocery bag for BG ☺.) Miss 6 came too and pretended to color while she memorized every word of our conversation. Can’t wait to see what will inevitably come back to bite me in the coming days.

When I got home, I unloaded the mammoth online order of girly clothes that had arrived, much to the hubby’s chagrin, tried out some Spanish with our housekeeper and tended to Beanie. (Okay, that sounds a lot more fancy-pants than it actually was. I assure you.)

Next up, I was off to MY time. Girlies napping, hubby working from home. All was right in the world. And as I was washing that gray right out of my hair — with a new 'do to match — I received not one, not two, not three, but FOUR rather urgent messages. Three work related and one not. I thought: “Damn of all damns.” And started the call backs. One could wait until I’m ‘back in the office’ next week. Two could not. The fourth was non-work and doesn’t count. So picture the needle scratching record sound they always use on shows like Scrubs. That was my soundtrack at the moment. Even though it wasn’t a big deal, the bliss was replaced by that pit in the stomach feeling for the rest of the outing. A nagging feeling that I was late for something. BLISS, INTERRUPTED.

So I hurried home, catching a lucky one-shop-stop-errand break at TJ Maxx. Man, I just can’t seem to carve out that ‘time for myself’ deal I hear people endlessly proselytizing about. Or just cut a break for that matter.

But don’t feel too sorry for me. I do have an oasis after all. An oasis named FOUR NIGHTS AWAY WITH HUBBY (sans the littles). The countdown to Santa Fe has begun in earnest. We will celebrate the affront of the hubby turning 40 with FOUR DAYS AWAY — ALONE. Mom is coming out to wrangle the two and off we go. (And if she is a good little cookie and follows the schedule, no one will get hurt.) Seriously, I can breathe again when I conjure my oasis. And the damn Crackberry is staying at home!

The week is almost over. I can see the light. (As I mentioned, Spring Break is this week.) And ever since Miss 6’s untimely wood-in-toe accident, we have been stuck at home. Now she has a cold too. Actually BEGGED me to let her take a nap yesterday. I almost passed out from the shock. So she obviously feels like crap. Since we've been stuck at home the past couple of days, she has decided to mirror my every move with Beanie. Down to how I hold her in my lap by the crouch (less chance of slippage since she’s ever so wiggly these days). And as she mimicked yesterday evening’s feeding she said, “Feeding her takes FOREVER! This is making me SO TIRED.” Yea, you and me both sister.

Tonight she was looking at my hair and said, “You don’t even look like Mommy with your hair painted.” Can you get a better compliment?

TODAY’S THEME SONG: Snow (Hey Oh). RHCP. Welcome to Spring Break in CO. A far cry from that rental on 1st Ave. in NMB.

1 comment:

Bubble Girl said...

Bliss, interrupted. What an excellent title for an essay or book! Love it.